Saturday, October 26, 2013

Marticu-Crash

Matriculation, according to the wisdom that is Wikipedia, is the term used for the ceremony at which new students are entered into the registrar of the university. Before Matriculation, students are only members of their College. After the ceremony, they officially become members of Oxford University for life. There are also some rules involved with matriculation such as where you can live during term and how many contact hours you have to have. At Oxford, you are required to wear sub fusc to the ceremony. This attire consists of a motar board (a cap which you carry and don't wear until you graduate), a gown, a white shirt, and a white tie, black pants and jacket for men, and a black skirt and tights for women. Sub fusc is also worn at the Examination School during examinations at the end of the term (Exams are only at the end of term. However, 100% of your degree depends on your exam your last year. Collections are like exams that are taken at the start of term, but sub fusc is not worn and they are more to gauge where you are in your study and that you've done work over vacation. Visiting students do no take any exams... ever.) As a visiting student, or as the Brits like to say JYA - Junior Year Abroad - unfortunately I am not allowed to matriculate. However, that doesn't mean we still can't dress up, right?

Two other visiting students and I got in our sub fusc and headed to Mansfield to meet up with all the freshers and grad students. After the Principal took attendance, (though some names weren't called because they may or may not have been allowed to be there...) we all headed as a group down to the Sheldonian Theater for the ceremony. Several matriculation ceremonies are held throughout the day, with several colleges matriculating at each ceremony. 

Walking over in masses 

The Sheldonian Theater 

When we finally got to the Sheldonian there were countless students EVERYWHERE in their sub fusc taking pictures, and countless tourists taking pictures of of us taking pictures! One tourist even asked one of the visiting students I was with if she would be in a picture with her teenage sons. Crazy crazy day, but completely unforgettable! When it came time for the Mansfield ceremony, we noticed letters on the gates in front of the Sheldonian, so we figured they were taking names and we wouldn't be able to get in.



So instead, we ran around Oxford taking pictures, because in the words of a wise fresher, "At the end of the day, it's all about the pictures!" And when I say we ran around Oxford, I mean all of Oxford (which is impressive because we were in heels!) Here are some of the highlight photos! 

This is my favorite! Just on the other side of the Sheldonian Theater.



I really wasn't lying when I said we went ALL over Oxford!

A rebel, wearing the hat...

And then karma came back to bite me for wearing it... this pic is just before I fell over and ripped my last pair of decent tights!

But I didn't care and I wore the hat again :)

Then we made him wear it!

Then things got weirder... 

After the ceremony, all the matriculated students come back to Mansfield and take a group photo. Again, we weren't allowed, but we did get a pic with a few fresh freshers (who were a bit confused as to why we willingly decided to dress in sub fusc)! 


And then afterwards, we went to a marvelous Japanese restaurant that always has a line out the door! We just got a bunch of food and split everything. It was all delicious! And I didn't even use a fork (even though the waiter offered me one upon seeing me struggle with chop sticks)!


Since then, I've returned to said restaurant for sushi to celebrate a friend's 21st! I let the birthday boy order for me, because I don't know anything about sushi (I am still unclear as to the strict definition of sushi). I ended up with a dish with a bite of 6 different kinds (2 kinds of shrimp, tuna, salmon, octopus, and egg). I was a bit apprehensive because I have tried sushi in the past and wasn't really a fan, but here it was great. To top is all off, I'm now a pro with using chop sticks (don't quote me on that!)

See, total pro! 

There's the Birthday boy! 

Now by this point, you may be wondering, 'Amy, do you ever do any work?' Well, stay tuned to find out... But let the record reflect... I actually have a TON of work to do! One week of reading here is equivalent to an entire semester's worth of reading at home, just to give you an idea!










No comments:

Post a Comment