Friday, October 25, 2013

Fresher's Week

Week 0

So, obviously I'm a bit behind with the blogging as Fresher's week (or Week 0 or Naught Week, whatever suits your fancy) happened 2 weeks ago. Time here is completely warped, going by so quickly but so slowly at the same time. I know that sounds completely contradictory, but just trust me, it's not! So while I can't recall EVERYTHING that happened Fresher's week, I'll try and hit the highlights!

So fresher's week essentially consist of many many many orientation type events and many many many entertaining events put on by either Oxford University or by Mansfield's very own Entz, who are responsible for keeping us Mansfielders entertained pretty much all year!


Entz crew

So, I didn't find the library inductions very helpful at all, as I was one of the lucky ones with a 2000 word essay due the Friday of Fresher's week and had already been forced to become acquainted with the many many many libraries at Oxford (There are 3 libraries at Mansfield alone, a main Old Bodleian Library, a New Bodleian Library (under construction-- much like the rest of Oxford) the Radcliffe Camera Library, the Gladstone Underground Link between the Old Bodleian and the Radcliffe Camera (which also holds books), the Bodleian Law Library, the Social Science Library, and so many many many more!) Fun Fact: the Bodleian is actually required by law to hold a copy of every book published in the UK and Ireland. There was also orientation specifically for international students in the examination schools, which is normally where lectures are held and where student's take their exams at the end of term. 

Another event during Freshers week is a social at the Turf Tavern, where essentially Mansfield students completely take over the entire pub. That's the pub where most people meet their college parents (comparable to a Big / Little in a Greek life). That's when I met my college mum, a wonderful PPE second year, as well as who I'd later find out to be my adopted college brother (oh, these families get complicated... I also have a legitimate brother, a sister, and a dad. And if you trace the line far enough, I have 2 grandfathers, all of which [except the adopted brother, but we don't like him anyway :) hopefully he's not reading this] showed up at a family dinner in 2nd week. And if that's not confusing enough for you, I believe I am the same age as my grandparents, and older than all my siblings and my parents!)




There were also a few events to mingle with Mansfield tutors, some of which included a meet and greet type gathering with tea (obviously) and a Visiting Student and Freshers cocktail and formal dinner. In my experience thus far, Mansfield is definitely living up to it's reputation of having the best food among the Oxford Colleges.

Fresher's week also consisted of clubbing events... Every. Single. Night. I don't even understand how that is even possible, but people did it! Unfortunately,  my paper kept me from experiencing any clubs during fresher's week (probably one of the reasons I escaped Fresher's Flu), but one night, a bunch of us spent a few hours at the pub The Kings Arms. We were playing that game from the Quentin Tarantino movie Inglorious Bastards where you write the name of a person (real or fictitious, dead or alive) on a piece of paper and pass it to the person next to you. They display it on their forehead and ask yes or no questions until they can guess what's on the card. Every 20 minutes or so, a British person would approach us and say "you look like you have having fun, can you explain the rules," or "can you teach us and can we borrow some paper?" By the time we left the pub, there was at least 3 different groups of 8 or more people playing the game! It was amazing! That's also the night I discovered my favorite drink thus far! Black Cider, recommended by the bartender, and rightfully so! 

Freshers fair! WOW, so many many many societies and clubs, so much to do! The fair took place in the Examination School and consisted of many many many rooms with many many many (can you sense a theme here?) people trying to get you to sign up for many many many societies and clubs! I got guilted into a few (as soon as you made eye contact, game over), but quite a few I was genuinely interested in. Consequently, I am on the mailing list for many many many things! Noteworthy are gliding (in a plane), caving, wine tasting, walking society, and a bunch of political and law related societies. Each one also did have "taster" events where you could try things out for free. I already tried archery (which was awesome)!

Saturday I attended the taster to let us see what Mansfield Rowing is like. They put us in a boat on the river and off we went! I was told I was number 4 (out of 8), which got confusing when the cox was shouting commands for Bow 4 (the 4 in the front ) and Stern 4 (the 4 in the back)... I thought she was talking to me the entire time, but apparently not. I am soooo bad, I even "caught a crab" which is basically where your oar tries to kill you and plasters you down so you can't move. My life flashed before my eyes...

I also met with my primary tutor (Economic Decisions Within the Firm) for an informational meeting. Another visiting student from Mansfield and I are taking it. We walked through University Parks, which has the Quidditch field, in order to get to Lady Margaret Hall (another Oxford College). Remember, I picked these tutorials before I was accepted and without any course description. Turns out this course is not what I thought it was. It's a class with 12 students (a lot considering a normal tutorial is 3 max)  and covers Advanced calculus, Linear Algebra, Systems, Programming, etc. Stay tuned to see how that tuned out!

The week ended with a BOP (which, rumor has it, stands for Big Organized Party) Saturday night (And in case you were wondering, my paper was finished and handed in by this point. More on that later)! The theme was Disney. A friend from Dale (where I live) and I decided to walk to Renault (SO FAR AWAY) to get ready before the event. I don't know how (it's a straight shot! No turns!), but I found a way to get us completely lost. Did I mention it was raining? Did I also mention I had done that walk at least 3 times before? Anyway, once we miraculously made it there, we were able to get beautified for the BOP! 


All I was missing was spots! "And your little dog too!" (wrong movie??)

Hair cred to Lucy, fellow Dickinsonian! 


The motley crew! We got Piglet (and / or the cheshire cat), esmeralda, Cinderella, Me, Meg (Hercules), and a modern day Bell 

Bop 

Apparently it's a Mansfield tradition to end the Bop by playing Robbie Williams song Angels and everyone gets in a giant circle with your arms on the shoulders of the person next to you and sing at the top of your lungs. Then during the chorus, everyone runs into the center of the circle, arms still wrapped around each other. It was fabulous! 



Keep in mind that is all Week 0! SO MANY MORE THINGS TO SHARE! Stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment